During the summer months, staying hydrated is among the top priorities for any futsal player. The correct amount of hydration helps in regulating the temperature of the body, maintain fluid levels and ensure electrolyte balance. This helps ensure that the player is comfortable and can perform optimally.

The Importance of Staying Hydrated
The hot, humid weather of a quintessential Indian summer combined with padding and uniforms and days of practice can significantly increase the amount a player perspires and the electrolyte he loses. While sweating helps the body keep cool, sweat losses of even 2% of body weight can often result in mild forms of dehydration resulting in dizziness, fatigue, cramping and an increased chance of heat related exhaustion and/or heat stroke.

When you lose over 2% of your weight in sweat, the overall performance of your body is put at risk. Your heart rate goes up, your blood tends to thicken, and it is a lot more challenging for the oxygen to travel through your body.

Signs of Heat Illness to Look out for Before, During or After your Games

  • Fatigue
  • Little or no urination
  • Weakness of the muscles
  • Headache
  • Light-headedness
  • Dizziness
  • Dry mouth
  • Excessive thirst
  • Passing out

Loss of Water during your Futsal Training or Match
The amount of water your body loses during a practice session or a futsal match depends not only on the intensity with which you play but also the weather. During the summer months, it is obvious that you will require to consume more quantities of fluids. Experts suggest that physical activity that exceeds an hour can result in the loss of over a quart of water. Considering that a typical futsal match consists of two periods of 20 minutes each, you want to make sure that you drink water through out the match regardless of whether you feel the thirst or not. Furthermore, your practice sessions may last longer, demanding even more intake of water than usual.

Staying Hydrated Before, During and After the Match
Proper hydration must be scheduled to start about 24 hours before the start of your futsal match. Remember that as much as 80% of your fluid intake should be from drinks while the other 20% can come from food. Some experts recommend that you consume about seven 8-ounce glasses of fluids every day, taking into account the average temperatures in the summer, the humidity levels and the amount of exercise you pursue to prep for a futsal match. It is also recommended that you drink 17 ounces of water about 3 hours before the match and about 7 ounces every 20 minutes while in the game. After your match is over, you are recommended to drink 8-ounces of fluid.

Finally, it is important to make smart choices when picking fluids that keep you hydrated. While tea, juice and soda are common choices, water is hands down the best choice. However, if you are engaging in strenuous exercises for about 45 to 60 minutes at a time, you want to make sure you consume enough drinks that contain electrolytes. Also remember that rehydration is much faster when there is sodium in the drink you have.